Bologna-Ozzano Technopole Rita Levi-Montalcini houses the following laboratories:
- Morphology Laboratory: it studies the distribution of proteins, peptides, trophic factors and receptors in tissues and organs of different animal species, using multiple localization techniques in fluorescence and ABC. It also performs conventional histological stains.
- Cell Biology Laboratory: it develops new cell systems and performs assays on cell lines, primary cells and stem cells (embryonic and adult somatic).
- Laboratory of Advanced Microscopy and Image Analysis (2D, 3D, 4D): it is equipped with the most modern imaging technologies, dynamic imaging and computerized image analysis (4D space-time resolution). Relevant instruments: conventional and inverted microscopes with transmitted light and fluorescence, equipped with high resolution CCD camera; Nikon A1 confocal laser scanning microscope, also for time-lapse experiments on multiple points, FRAP, FRET and calcium imaging modules; 2D, 3D and 4D image analysis software (Image ProPlus, Olympus Cell ^ P, Nikon NIS, Bitplane Imaris).
- Proteomics Laboratory: it can simultaneously dose panels of proteins and peptides in the same sample of fluids and biological extracts, using multiparametric technologies (on Luminex platform). It also participates in controlled clinical trials (GCP compliant).
- Molecular Biology Laboratory: it analyzes the genes of interest, also on microdissected areas and cells (RT-PCR and pathway arrays), and produces tools for the manipulation of their expression.
- Animal Facility: it houses rats and mice (including transgenic mice). It also has its own OPBA (animals’ health internal control system) to allow the submission to the Ministry of Health of the applications for the authorizations to animal testing.
- Microsurgery Laboratory: it creates complex and customized disease models, characterizing the phenotype and temporal evolution. It is equipped with a gas anesthesia system, stereotaxic instrument, “Brain Impactor” and all the related microsurgery tools.
- Animal Behavior Laboratory: it is provided with technologies for the analysis of cognitive (learning and memory), sensitive (pain threshold in animals free to move), motor (sensory-motor coordination, spontaneous locomotion, “gait analysis”) behavior and equipped with video tracking software and automatic analysis. Relevant equipment: video-recording instruments, video-tracking and automatic behavior analysis software.
The Technopole project is co-financed by the 2014-2020 European Fund for Regional Development POR FESR of Emilia Romagna